Bible Study 9 am Sunday Worship Sundays 10AM

Join us for Morning Worship


St.John’s traces its beginning to the early 1900’s when Rev. T Doering made the journey from Portland and led worship in German. These Divine Services were held in various private homes of people in the Sutherlin area. Another start took place in 1938. by Rev. W.A. Sylvester of Roseburg. The worship took place in the Medthodist Church of Sutherlin for a few months.

It is in 1946 that we find what is now the actual start of St. John’s as we know it today, Rev. W.A. Sylvester from Cottage Grove under the direction to the NW District held the first worship June 9, 1946. in Sutherlin High School. At the beginning of the school year the serves were moved to the Sutherlin Scout Hall and from there to the Legion Hall. By the end of the 1946 the gathered congregation numbered 49 baptized members of which 23 were communicant members. The congregation settled on the name “St.John’s Lutheran Church” in December 1946 it was at that time that they also voted to set aside the Christmas Offerings for the purchase of land for their own church building. The formal organization took place at a special meeting of the Coenenberg home in February 1949 The first officers of the congregation was filled. The congregation called its first pastor, Rev. Richard Graef through the NW District. The installation of Rev. Graef took place September 4, 1949